Tuesday 24 June 2014

Head for figures 2

These busts are the second and third in the series.  I've been experimenting with a more stylised approach. The features are exaggerated.  It's probably not something that I will pursue but it was an interesting exercise.
During the construction of the second figure, the head was getting quite heavy as I added more and more clay to form the features.  I ended up cutting the head in half and scooping out clay from the inside of the head.  I find the terracotta clay is quite forgiving.  A negative aspect however is that it comes out of a bisque firing as bright orange.  I intend to use oxide washes to tone down the colour.

I find myself trying to tie these busts into my overall theme but I've been reminded that these are experiments and not to be considered as finished work for my project.


No comments:

Post a Comment